5900 Grizzly Road, Portola, CA 96122
Our mission is to deliver innovative outdoor, science-based education programs for youth to develop critical thinking skills and to inspire natural resource stewardship.
To achieve our mission, Sierra Nevada Journeys offers a range of programs in Northern California and Nevada:
- Our science instructors deliver innovative curriculum for first-through-sixth-grade students, teaching in the classroom and leading one-day field science expeditions in the Reno and Sacramento areas.
- Fifth and sixth-grade students and their teachers attend outdoor school program called Overnight Outdoor Learning at our Grizzly Creek Ranch location in Portola, California. The 515-acre camp has modern facilities which accommodate 260 campers.
- We train teachers on engaging STEM lessons and outdoor learning for their classrooms.
- We engage families to reinforce classroom concepts through our Family STEM Nights.
- We use weekends and summers to expand our reach beyond schools, working within our community to deliver camps for people with disabilities, leadership development, and group and conference programs.
At Sierra Nevada Journeys, we believe that outdoor science education is not just a luxury, but a necessity. Additionally, 72 percent of the students we serve are from low-income families and 70 percent are students of color. Fundraising growth enables us to ensure accessibility to programs for under-served students across our region.
We transform lives by building curiosity, confidence, and connections to nature, especially for students who are traditionally underserved.