2200 CA-89, Clio, CA, United States
The Mohawk Valley Stewardship Council (MVSC) was formed in 2009 by a community of concerned citizens whose mission is to connect people with their natural and cultural heritage and to provide a community gathering place through restoration and operation of the historic White Sulphur Springs Ranch.
Only a few months after receiving their non-profit status, the MVSC was awarded an acquisition grant from the State of California and along with a substantial donation from the landowner, purchased the historic White Sulphur Springs Ranch in 2010.
The original ranch was about 400 acres, however, the ranch house, barns, warm springs and swimming pool are on the remaining 39 acres which were acquired by MVSC.
Restoration of the 39 acre ranch for community use and development of community historical, environmental and educational programs are the primary focus of MVSC.
Restoration of the Ranch is completely dependent upon public and private donations from our community.
In 2009 the Mohawk Valley Stewardship Council was formed for the purpose of purchasing and restoring the historic White Sulphur Springs Ranch located in Clio, California. This historic ranch, nestled in the Mohawk Valley, has been a family gathering place for this small rural mountain community for more than 160 years. When the ranch fell into disrepair and the community thought they were going to lose it, residents formed a non-profit and purchased the ranch in 2010.
“Our goal is to preserve and restore this historic site for the benefit of the community and our disabled children and disabled veterans.”
Our priority projects include building a community swimming pool, new changing rooms and bathrooms, restoring the historic ranch house, updating the water, septic and electrical systems and generally improving the ranch where everyone in our community, especially our disabled children and disabled veterans, will have a place to enjoy life.
Great progress has already been made in each of these areas, but much work still needs to be done and we need your help.
You can help us build a community swimming pool, restore the house and improve other facilities on the ranch for all to enjoy by donating today.
Donating to a good cause makes us all feel good!
Supporting our children and the disabled makes us feel great!
The exact date of construction of the combination ranch house and stagecoach stop is unknown but is thought to be between 1857 and 1867. George McLear, a Jamison City merchant, purchased the property from King in 1867.
From that time until its sale in 2003, the property remained in his family and with the family of close associates. Long recognized as an important piece of Plumas County history, the White Sulphur Springs Ranch has been listed as an historic property in the Plumas County General Plan since at least 1983. The forced auction and sale of the property, house, and contents in 2003 ended the long tenure of family and associates. According to local historian, Edward C. Brown, now deceased, “The road in front of the ranch is now Highway 89 and paved, but it was dirt and not much of a road when White Sulphur Springs Ranch came into existence. That was in 1852. It was first a stagecoach stop, hotel for travelers and ranch, serving the stagecoach line that ran between Quincy and Truckee”.